Southgate Recreation & Park District is proud to offer one of the finest and most comprehensive swim lesson programs in Sacramento. The Aquatic Department is dedicated to teaching every participant how to swim, regardless of age or ability. This is achieved by ensuring low student to teacher ratioes and small class sizes, which allow for personal attention and feedback from instructors. Instructors use a combination of American Red Cross training techniques and years of teaching experience. Participants with special needs should contact the Aquatic Supervisor at least two weeks before the first lesson to make any necessary arrangements. For more information, please call (916) 395-0601.
Swim Lesson Guidelines
1. Please arrive early and have your student ready for instruction. All classes begin and end as scheduled.
2. All group classes are 30 minutes. Each session is 8 days, with no classes on Fridays unless otherwise noted.
3. Class size is limited to six (6) students, with the exception of the Starfish level, which is limited to ten (10) students.
4. We suggest that you select your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice for registration, as your first choice may not be honored if classes are full.
5. Classes may be added or deleted from class sessions depending on enrollment.
6. In the event that the level of instruction must be changed, please notify your current instructor, and make the necessary change with a cashier during regular registration hours. Level transfers must be completed within the first 2 days of instruction.
7. In the event that a class is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, it will be made up on the next available Friday. You will be informed by your instructor if this occurs.
8. No class refunds will be issued after the class has begun. No Exceptions.
Swim Lesson Registration
Swim Lesson Registration begins April 3, 2017.
· Registration can be done in person at the Rutter Swim Center & Fruitridge Aquatic Center during regular pool hours.
· Registration can also be taken at the Fruitridge Community Center (M-F, 9:00a – 2:00p; no cash) or the Jose P. Rizal Community Center (M-F, 9:00a – 5:00p).
· Customers can pay by cash, check, money order, or major credit card.
· Customers can register 24-hours a day using a major credit card.
· Register here!
· Customers can register by calling Rizal, Fruitridge, Rutter Swim Center, or the Fruitridge Aquatic Center during regular business hours using a major credit card.
· Customers can mail a completed registration form with payment to Rizal (no cash): 7320 Florin Mall Dr. Sacramento, CA 95823
· Customers can fax completed registration form with major credit card information to Rizal: (916) 395-3934
Swim Lesson Fees
Group Lessons: (2-weeks, M-Th) $45
Private Lessons: (1-week, M-Th) $75
Discount Lessons- RSC: (1-week, T – F) $20
Discount Lessons- FAC: (1-week, M – F) $22
Starfish (1-4 years with Parent Participation)
This class is designed to adjust the youngster and parent to the aquatic environment. Child must wear swim diaper or plastic cover over their diaper and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the water at each class session.
Guppies (3-5 years)
This class is designed for the youngster who cannot float. Students will acquire skills such as front and back floating, arm strokes, flutter kick and submerging. Child must be three years old and mature enough to be in the water by themselves.
Polliwogs (6+ years)
This class is designed for the older youngster who cannot float. Students will acquire skills such as front and back floating, arm strokes, flutter kick and submerging. Child must be at least 6 years old.
This class is designed for the youngster who has completed Guppies or Polliwogs or who can float on their front and back comfortably without assistance. This class will introduce the front and back crawl strokes.
This class is designed for students who have completed Tadpoles, or who are able to complete at least ½ lap of front crawl. Students will work on improving coordination of the front and back crawl strokes while being introduced to rhythmic breathing, elementary backstroke and breaststroke.
This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Goldfish, or who are able to at a minimum do the front crawl for 1½ laps and the back crawl for 1 lap. Students will begin learning rotary breathing and rhythmic breathing for breaststroke.
This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Barracudas, or who are able to at a minimum swim 2 laps front and back crawl and 1 lap elementary backstroke and breaststroke. This class will continue working on swimming mechanics while introducing students to the butterfly stroke.
Teen & Adult Beginners (12+ years)
This class is for non-floaters and beginning floaters. Classes develop floating ability and arm stroke technique
Private Swim Lessons
Private instruction is offered during evening swim lesson times only. All private instruction includes four, 30-minute lessons. Participants should be able to float comfortably on their front and back. All instructors teaching private lessons have two or more years of experience. Instruction is tailored to fit the needs of the swimmer. Space in this program is very limited. Lessons are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Be sure to indicate your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lesson choice on your registration form.