Fall Swim Lessons
Southgate Recreation & Park District is proud to offer one of the finest and most comprehensive swim lesson programs in Sacramento. The Aquatics Department is dedicated to teaching every participant how to swim, regardless of age or ability. This is achieved by ensuring low student to teacher ratios and small class sizes, which allow for personal attention and feedback from instructors. Instructors use a combination of professional training techniques and years of teaching experience. Participants with special needs should contact the Aquatics Recreation Coordinator at least two weeks before the first lesson to make any necessary arrangements. For further information, please call (916) 526-0234.
Swim Lesson Guidelines
- Please arrive early and have your student ready for instruction. All classes begin and end as scheduled.
- All group classes are 30 minutes. Fall session is 4 days on Saturday mornings.
- Class size is limited to 6 students. Exception: Starfish is limited to 10 students.
- We suggest that you select your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice for registration, as your first choice may not be honored if classes are full.
- Classes may be added or deleted from class sessions depending on enrollment.
- In the event that the level of instruction must be changed, please notify your current instructor, and make the necessary change with a cashier during regular registration hours. Level transfers must be completed within the first 2 days of instruction.
- In the event that a class is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, it will be made up on the next available Friday. You will be informed by your instructor if this occurs.
- No class refunds will be issued after the class has begun.
Level 1: Starfish (6 months – 3 years with In-Water Parent Participation)
This class is designed to adjust the child as well as the parent or guardian to the aquatic environment. Child must wear swim diaper. Each child must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the water at each session.
Level 2: Guppies (3 – 5 years)
This class is designed for the youngster who cannot float. Students will acquire skills such as front and back floating, arm strokes, flutter kick and submerging. Child must be three years old.
Level 3: Polliwogs (6 years and up)
This class is designed for the older youngster who cannot float. Students will acquire skills such as front and back floating, arm strokes, flutter kick and submerging. The child must be at least 6 years old.
Level 4: Tadpoles (6 years and up)
This class is designed for the youngster who has completed Guppies or Polliwogs or who can float on their front and back comfortably without assistance. This class will introduce the front and back crawl strokes.
Level 5: Goldfish (6 years and up)
This class is designed for students who have completed Tadpoles, or who are able to demonstrate back crawl arm action and at least 15 feet of front crawl. Students will work on improving coordination of the front and back crawl strokes while being introduced to rhythmic breathing and glides.
Level 6: Barracudas (6 years and up)
This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Goldfish, or who are able to demonstrate 30 feet of front crawl and back crawl. Students will begin learning rotary breathing, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, and dives.
Level 7: Dolphin/Shark (6 years and up)
This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Barracudas, or who are able to at a minimum swim 25 yards of front and back crawl and demonstrate the elementary backstroke and breaststroke. This class will continue to work on building swimming mechanics and endurance while introducing students to the butterfly stroke and flip turns.
For parent/guardian-participation classes, a household member 16 or over may assist the participant in lieu of the parent/guardian.
Swim Lesson Registration
Swim lesson registration is now open. Register on our site today.
Swim Lesson Fees – New Aquatic Center
- Fall Session ( 4 days, S): $45
Swim Lesson Session Dates
New Aquatic Center
- September 4- September 25, every Saturday
Swim Lesson Schedule
New Aquatic Center
Scroll to see full table in smaller screens ›
10 AM-10:30 AM
10:35 AM- 11 AM
11:10 AM-11:40 AM
Get the latest community news, class listings, and event schedule.
Registration is Easy!
Register for classes and activities offered by Southgate Recreation & Park District.