REGISTRATION FOR JUNE SWIM LESSONS IS LIVE. REGISTER FOR THEM ON ACTIVE NET HERE.
ENROLLMENT FOR SWIM LESSONS BEGIN APRIL 1, 2022 FOR JUNE AND SOME JULY CLASSES. ENROLLMENT FOR MID JULY AND AUGUST SWIM LESSONS OPENS MAY 1.
SWIM LESSONS WILL BEGIN MAY 31.
Southgate Recreation & Park District is proud to offer one of the finest and most comprehensive swim lesson programs in Sacramento. The Aquatics Department is dedicated to teaching every participant how to swim, regardless of age or ability. This is achieved by ensuring low student to teacher ratios and small class sizes, which allow for personal attention and feedback from instructors. Instructors use a combination of professional training techniques and years of teaching experience. Participants with special needs should contact the Aquatics Recreation Coordinator at least two weeks before the first lesson to make any necessary arrangements. For further information, please call (916) 526-0234.
Swim Lesson Guidelines
- Please arrive early and have your student ready for instruction. All classes begin and end as scheduled.
- All classes are 30 minutes. Each group session is 8 days, Monday – Thursday. Each private session is 4 days.
- Class size is limited to 6 students. (Exceptions: Starfish is limited to 10 students; Guppies is limited to 4 students).
- We suggest that you review your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice for registration, as your first choice may not be available if classes are full.
- A wait list for an individual class is available for any participant to sign up on. Wait lists are not rolled over year to year, session to session, or class to class. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to place the participant on the appropriate wait list(s). If a registered participant withdraws from a class creating an open spot, the first participant on the wait list is called to accept or decline the spot within the appropriate time period provided by staff. Activity spots are not held or reserved and are not finalized until payments are made.
- Classes may be added or deleted from class sessions depending on enrollment.
- In the event that the level of instruction must be changed, please notify your current instructor, and make the necessary change with a cashier during regular registration hours. Level transfers must be completed within the first 2 days of instruction.
- In the event that a class is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, it will be made up on the next available Friday. You will be informed by your instructor if this occurs.
Level 1: Starfish (6 months – 3 years with In-Water Parent Participation)
This class is designed to adjust the child as well as the parent or guardian to the aquatic environment. Child must wear swim diaper. Each child must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the water at each session.
Level 2: Guppies (3 – 5 years)
This class is designed for the youngster who cannot float. Students will acquire skills such as front and back floating, arm strokes, flutter kick and submerging. Child must be three years old.
Level 3: Polliwogs (6 years and up)
This class is designed for the older youngster who cannot float. Students will acquire skills such as front and back floating, arm strokes, flutter kick and submerging. The child must be at least 6 years old.
Level 4: Tadpoles (6 years and up)
This class is designed for the youngster who has completed Guppies or Polliwogs or who can float on their front and back comfortably without assistance. This class will introduce the front and back crawl strokes.
Level 5: Goldfish (6 years and up)
This class is designed for students who have completed Tadpoles, or who are able to demonstrate back crawl arm action and at least 15 feet of front crawl. Students will work on improving coordination of the front and back crawl strokes while being introduced to rhythmic breathing and glides.
Level 6: Barracudas (6 years and up)
This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Goldfish, or who are able to demonstrate 30 feet of front crawl and back crawl. Students will begin learning rotary breathing, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, and dives.
Level 7: Dolphin/Shark (6 years and up)
This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Barracudas, or who are able to at a minimum swim 25 yards of front and back crawl and demonstrate the elementary backstroke and breaststroke. This class will continue to work on building swimming mechanics and endurance while introducing students to the butterfly stroke and flip turns.
For parent/guardian-participation classes, a household member 16 or over may assist the participant in lieu of the parent/guardian.
Swim Lesson Registration
Swim lessons registration for June and July is now open. Click here to register.
Swim Lesson Schedule
Discount Session: May 31-June 4, 2022, New Aquatic Center only
Session 1: June 6-June 16, 2022, New Aquatic Center, evenings only
Session 2: June 20-June 30, 2022
Session 3: July 11-July 21, 2022
Session 4: July 25-August 4, 2022
Session 5: August 8-August 18, 2022, evenings only
|New Aquatic Center Discount Lessons (May 31-June 4)|
|New Aquatic Center|
|Fruitridge Aquatic Center|
Get the latest community news, class listings, and event schedule.
Registration is Easy!
Register for classes and activities offered by Southgate Recreation & Park District.
Southgate Recreation & Park District Refund Policy
Programs, Classes, and Activities:
Refunds and transfers are granted without fees for cancellations received at least 72
hours prior to the first class. Failure to attend a class does not constitute grounds for a
refund. Refunds will be provided if an activity is canceled by the District. A transaction
fee may be charged for cancellations.
Payment of Refunds:
Refunds issued in the form of a check take up to 30 days to process. Refunds may be
issued to your Southgate ActiveNet account to use for future programs, classes,
activities, park rentals and/or facility rentals. Refunds to a Southgate ActiveNet account
are available earlier. Southgate Recreation & Park District reserves the right to cancel or change program
offerings, park permits or facility rentals at any time.